When you set up your Zap action, you can use static or dynamic values in the action fields.
- Static values: When you type a value into an action field or select a value from a dropdown menu, the Zap will send the same value to your action app every time it runs.
- Dynamic values: When you map a field from a previous step, the Zap will send the information received for that field every time it runs.
The action of using dynamic values is referred to as “mapping a field”. This means you select information that you receive from one app and send it to another.
If your Zap creates a new lead in your customer relationship management (CRM) app whenever a customer signs up for an event, you can:
- Type a value like “April Block Party” into the Lead Source field. When the Zap runs, it will send “April Block Party” to the Lead Source field every time it creates a new lead. This is a static value, as it will be the same value every time the Zap runs.
- Select a field like the phone number field from your event signup app to send to the phone number field in your CRM action. When the Zap runs, it will send whatever phone number your lead signed up with, changing each time the Zap runs. This is a dynamic value.
You can use both static and dynamic fields in an action.
Mapping fields is a powerful tool to build dynamic and flexible workflows.
To map fields when you set up your Zap action:
- Click on the field that you want to set up.
- In the dropdown menu, select one or more fields from a previous step that has the information you want to use.
In the previous example, when you click on the phone number field in the CRM action, the dropdown menu will show all fields received from the signup form that triggered the Zap. Clicking any of those fields will map them to the phone number field in the CRM action. So, when someone fills out the phone number field in your signup form, the Zap will send their phone number to your CRM.
- You can only map fields from a previous step to a subsequent step. You can’t map fields from a later step to a previous step.
- If you reorder or duplicate action steps or paths within a Zap or copy and paste triggers and actions across Zaps, you must re-map your fields in those steps.
(Optional) Use AI to fill out your fields
AI-powered suggested values is a beta feature. It's available for use, but still in active development and may change.
Use AI to generate values for the fields in your action. Zapier will attempt to create values based on data from previous steps.
- In the top right of the Action section, click Generate values.
- Suggested values will appear below the field in a yellow box.
- Values may include either or both static and dynamic values.
- Click the suggested values to enter them in the field.
- (Optional) To regenerate a new set of values, click Regenerate values at the top of the Action section.
- You must complete and test all previous steps to use this feature.
- If Zapier is unable to generate a value, you will see a notice below the field: “Suggested by AI: No Suggestions Generated.”