When you first set up your Zap trigger, Zapier will attempt to find some test data from your trigger app to use in the Zap. For example, if your trigger is a new email in Gmail, Zapier will pull in a recent email you've received. This email can then be used as test data in an action step later in the Zap, such as to customize a Slack message with data from the email.
As you continue to set up the rest of your Zap, you may realize that you need different test data from your trigger to complete the rest of your Zap or make it easier to set up certain Zap actions.
1. Select new trigger test data
- Click to open the Trigger step.
- Click to expand the Test trigger section.
- Click the dropdown menu and select a different item. You'll be able to see the data from the new item you've selected.
- If you want to choose from a greater selection of items, click Load more.
2. Optional: Add new data to your trigger app
If none of the available items Zapier finds seem suitable, try adding new data to your trigger app. For example, if your trigger is a new email in Gmail, send yourself a new email. Then, click the dropdown menu and click Load more to bring in the new data.
If your data fields change when you load a new trigger sample, the new field will not automatically update in your Zap. For example, if you change a field from Last Name to Surname in your trigger app, load your new trigger sample, then replace those fields in subsequent action steps.
3. Optional: Retest later Formatter steps
If you have a Zap with Formatter steps, you’ll need to retest those steps before the new test data can be used in later action steps.
After finding the sample data you like, you can continue setting up the rest of your Zap, whether that’s setting up your action, or adding a search step.