You can pick a specific value from an incoming list from an app with Formatter’s Pick from list transform.
If a survey field collects a respondent's top 5 vegetables but you only want to track the top vegetable, you can use the Pick from list transform to create a new field that contains only that item.
Before you can add a Formatter step to a Zap, you must set up your Zap trigger.
1. Add a Formatter step to your Zap
- Click the Action step, or click the plus + icon to add a step to your Zap.
- Click Format.
- Click the Event dropdown menu and select Utilities.
- Click Continue.
2. Customize your transformation
- Click the Transform dropdown menu and select Pick from list.
- Select the item from the list to pick:
- To pick the first item, last item, or a random item, use the Operation dropdown menu.
- To pick an item at any other position, use the Custom field.
- In the Input field, select the field from a previous step that contains the list you want to pick from, or enter a list of values. More fields will appear when the first one is used.
- Optional: in the Default field, you can enter a value to use if no value is found.
- Click Continue.
To pick an item using the Custom field, you can reference the item by its list position. The first list item will always be
0. The second item is
1, the third item is
2, and so on.
You can also use negative numbers to count from the end of the list.
-1 will pick the last item,
-2 will pick the second-last item,and
-3 will pick the third-last item, and so on.
3. Test your transformation
Click Test & Review to test the step. If it's successful, the step will return either one of the values from the input field or the default value.
Once you’ve set your Formatter step to pick a value from a list, you can add other actions to use the value in the rest of your Zap.